Global technological trends in the field of weapons and military equipment
UDC 001.18; 002.513.5; 355/359 - 356.252.5
ISBN 978-966-479-117-2 (Online)
Pysarenko T. V. — PhD in Engineering, Deputy Director for Scientific and Analytical Work of Ukrainian Institute for Scientific Technical Expertise and Information, Kyiv, Ukraine, ORCID: 0000-0001-9806-2872
Kvasha T. K. — Head of Department of State Institution “Ukrainian Institute of Scientific and Technical Expertise and Information”, Kyiv, Ukraine, ORCID: 0000-0002-1371-3531
Kamyshyn V. V. — Doctor in Pedagogical sciences, PhD (Technical sciences), Corresponding member of the National Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine, laureate of the State Award of the Ukrainian SSR in the field of science and technology, of the State Award of Ukraine in the field of education, acting Director of the State Scientific Institution "Ukrainian Institute of Scientific and Technical Expertise and Information", ORCID:0000-0002-8832-9470
Pekariev D. V. — Candidate of Technical Sciences, Chief Researcher of the Section of Applied Problems of the Presidium of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, ORCID: 0000-0002-5056-4993
Abstract. Technology is the fundamental factor of social change, offering new opportunities for the production, storage and dissemination of knowledge. This is especially true in the military sphere, because progress in military technology can have both positive and negative consequences: improved capabilities for measures to mobilize and use force, or more powerful capabilities for cause harm and destruction.
Current innovations in artificial intelligence, robotics, autonomous systems, space technology, 3D printing, biotechnology, materials science and quantum computing will bring unprecedented transformations. Artificial intelligence (AI) is becoming the "defining technology of the future", both in everyday life and in the military sphere.
For developing a military potential suitable for the geostrategic challenges of the present and the future, it is important to navigate military innovations and new technologies, which is what this work is devoted to. Based on the analysis of publications of the international analytical and consulting organizations, foreign governments, NATO, SIPRI, the Munich Security Conference, the EU the latest forecasts for the introduction and adaptation of new technologies and methods originating from the civilian sector into military programs were presented.
In particular, this applies to technologies of the fourth industrial revolution - artificial intelligence, robotics, autonomy, cybersecurity, etc., as well as space, nuclear technologies, technologies of new materials, biotechnologies - for military transformation. The future of military success will now belong to those who design, build and use combinations of information technology with existing technology and military capabilities to form a new combat force - smart, interconnected, distributed and digital. This change manifests itself in new forms of war - hyper war, memetic war, cyberspace war.
The future scientific and technological landscape in the military sphere will be characterized (and at the same time guided) by the following:
- Intelligence: built-in artificial intelligence, advanced analytics and decision-making capabilities across the entire technology spectrum.
- Autonomy: autonomous systems with artificial intelligence that are capable of up to a certain level of autonomous decision-making. Such autonomous systems can be robotic, platform-based, or (digital) agents.
- Humanistic intelligence: seamless integration of psycho-socio-technological systems supporting human and machine connectivity, as well as synergistic behaviour.
- Interconnection: overlay of real and virtual domains, including sensors, organizations, institutions, individuals, autonomous agents and processes.
Keywords: future wars, technological modernization of combat forces, military transformation, technologies of the fourth industrial revolution, autonomy, space forces, nuclear weapons.
- Emerging military and security technologies. – STOCKHOLM INTERNATIONAL PEACE RESEARCH INSTITUTE. [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.sipri.org/research/armament-and-disarmament/emerging-militar...
- INTEGRATED REVIEW: CALL FOR EVIDENCE [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/integrated-review-call-for-ev...
- Global warming of 1.5°C [Electronic resource]. URL: https://report.ipcc.ch/sr15/pdf/sr15_spm_final.pdf
- UN Report: Nature’s Dangerous Decline ‘Unprecedented’; Species Extinction Rates ‘Accelerating’ [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/blog/2019/05/nature-decline-un...
- The 100 largest companies in the world by market capitalization in 2020 [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.statista.com/statistics/263264/top-companies-in-the-world-by...
- Growing consumption [Electronic resource]. URL: https://ec.europa.eu/knowledge4policy/growing-consumerism_en
- Pettersson, Th. & Öberg, M. (2020) Organized violence, 1989–2019 [Electronic resource], Journal of Peace Research, 57 (4), 597-613. URL: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0022343320934986
- States of Fragility 2018 [Електронний ресурс]. URL: https://www.oecd.org/dac/conflict-fragility-resilience/docs/OECD%20Highl...
- Bidwell, C. & MacDonald, B. (2018) Emerging Disruptive Technologies and Their Potential Threat to Strategic Stability and National Security [Electronic resource]. Tech. Rep., Federation of American Scientists. URL: https://fas.org/wp-content/uploads/media/FAS-Emerging-Technologies-Repor....
- Crow, L. (2020) Demis Hassabis on AI’s potential. URL: https://theworldin.economist.com/edition/2020/article/17385/demis-hassab...
- Cybersecurity [Electronic resource]. URL: https://intelligence.weforum.org/topics/a1Gb00000015LbsEAE?tab=publications
- Federated Interoperability of Military C2 and IoT Systems [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.sto.nato.int/Pages/technical-team.aspx?k=(*)&s=Search%20IST%20Activities&View=%7b2C52FF39-CB1C-4A13-8129-6976E923EDEC%7d&FilterField1=ACTIVITY%5FPANEL&FilterValue1=IST
- WIPO Technology Trends 2019 – Artificial Intelligence [Electronic resource]. – Режим доступу: https://www.wipo.int/publications/en/details.jsp?id=4386
- (2020, March 3) AI 100: The Artificial Intelligence Startups Redefining Industries, CB Insights. [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.cbinsights.com/research/artificial-intelligence-top-startups /.
- (2019) Ukaz Prezidenta Rossijskoj Federacіїї ot 10.10.2019 № 490 “O razvitii iskusstvennogo intellekta v Rossijskoj Federacii“ [Electronic resource]. URL: http://publication.pravo.gov.ru/Document/View/0001201910110003 .
- Bendett, S. (2018) Here’s How the Russian Military Is Organizing to Develop AI. Defense One, July. [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2018/07/russian-militarys-ai-developmen... .
- Fond perspektivnyh issledovanij [Electronic resource]. URL: https://fpi.gov.ru/
- Polyakova, A. (2018, November 15) Weapons of the Weak: Russia and AI-driven Asymmetric Warfare. Brookings Institution, November. URL: https://www.brookings.edu/research/weapons-of-the-weak-russia-and-ai-dri...
- Franklin, J., Carmody, C., Keller, K., Levitt, T. & Buteau, B. (1988) Expert system technology for the military: selected samples. Proceedings of the IEEE 76, 1327–136. URL: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/16329/
- Intel. Neuromorphic Computing - Next Generation of AI (2019). [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.intel.com/content/www/uk/en/research/neuromorphic-computing....
- Bufithis, G. (2019) EmTech Digital. [Electronic resource]. URL: http://www.gregorybufithis.com/2019/03/26/oh-crap-even-more-stuff-to-worry-about-malevolent-machine-learning-could-derail-ai/
- Artificial Intelligence Research Associate (AIRA) (2020). [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.darpa.mil/program/artificial-intelligence-research-associate
- (2019) DARPA. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. Budget Estimates FY 2020. RDT&E Program. Tech. Rep. [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.darpa.mil/attachments/DARPA_FY20_Presidents_Budget_Request.pdf
- (2020, July) Global Artificial Intelligence (AI) Industry. URL: https://www.reportlinker.com/p05478480/Global-Artificial-Intelligence-AI...
- Market share held by the leading Windows anti-malware application vendors worldwide, as of April 2020 [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.statista.com/statistics/271048/market-share-held-by-antiviru...
- (2020) Fiscal Year (FY) 2021 Budget Estimates. Department of Defence Information Technology and cyberspace Activities Budget Overview. [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.cape.osd.mil/content/SNAPIT/files/FY21/FY21%20DoD%20IT-CA%20...
- White House issues new cybersecurity policy for space systems [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.c4isrnet.com/battlefield-tech/space/2020/09/04/white-house-i...
- (2020) THE TAXONOMY OF THE ECSO. CYBERSECURITY MARKET RADAR. ECSO, 12. [Electronic resource]. UR:: https://www.ecs-org.eu/documents/uploads/ecso-cybersecurity-market-radar...
- Securing cyberspace: Concrete results through EU research and innovation [Electronic resource]. URL: https://cordis.europa.eu/article/id/400141-securing-cyberspace-deliverin...
- Speech by Executive Vice-President Margrethe Vestager on the Digital Package [Electronic resource]. URL: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/SPEECH_20_1704
- Cyber Security [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.marketresearch.com/Global-Industry-Analysts-v1039/Cyber-Secu...
- Zacharias G. Autonomous horizons: the way forward (2019) [Electronic resource]. Alabama: Air University Press, Curtis E. LeMay Center for Doctrine Development and Education, Maxwell Air Force Base. 416 рр. URL: https://www.airuniversity.af.edu/Portals/10/AUPress/Books/b_0155_zacharias_autonomous_horizons.pdf
- Williams A. P. & Scharre, P. D. (eds.) (2015) Autonomous Sytems - Issues for Defence Policy Makers. [Electronic resource].Norfolk, VA: NATO Allied Command Transformation. URL: http://www.act.nato.int/images/stories/media/capdev/capdev_02.pdf.
- (2018) Army A. Robotic & Autonomous Systems Strategy. - Tech. Rep. - Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra, Australia. [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.army.gov au/our-future/australian-army-research-centre-aarc/australian-army-research-centre-publications/robotic .
- Rane, S. Building a cyber-physical immune system [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.computerweekly.com/opinion/Building-a-cyber-physical-immune-....
- Military Robots Market by Platform (Land, Marine, Airborne), Application (ISR, Search and Rescue, Combat Support, Transportation, EOD, Mine Clearance, Firefighting), Mode of Operation (Human Operated, Autonomous), and Region - Global Forecast to 2022 [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/Market-Reports/military-robots-market-245516013.html
- Kvasha, T. K. (2019) Svitovi naukovi ta tekhnolohichni trendy u sferi zabezpechennia natsionalnoi bezpeky: naukova dopovid [World scientific and technological trends in the field of national security: national report]. Kyiv, UkrINTEI, 99. ISBN 978-966-479-109-7. DOI: 10.35668/978-966-479-109-7
- (2020) Science & Technology Trends 2020-2040. Exploring the S&T Edge. NATO Science & Technology Organization, 160.
- DEFENSE SPACE STRATEGY. SUMMARY [Electronic resource]. URL: https://media.defense.gov/2020/Jun/17/2002317391/-1/-1/1/2020_DEFENSE_SP...
- SIPRI Yearbook 2020 [Electronic resource]. URL:. https://www.sipri.org/sites/default/files/2020-06/yb20_summary_en_v2.pdf
- Duffin, E. Nuclear weapons - Statistics & Facts [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.statista.com/topics/4269/nuclear-weapons/
- Amerikanskij takticheskij giperzvukovoj planer poluchit dal'nost' do 1600 kilometrov [The American tactical hypersonic glider will have a range of up to 1,600 kilometers][Electronic resource]. URL: https://nplus1.ru/news/2020/10/24/opfires
- (2018) National Defense strategy of The United States of America. URL: https://dod.defense.gov/Portals/1/Documents/pubs/2018-National-Defense-S...
- Implementing the National Defense Strategy: A Year of Successes [Electronic resource]. URL: https://media.defense.gov/2020/Jul/17/2002459291/-1/-1/1/NDS-FIRST-YEAR-ACCOMPLISHMENTS-FINAL.pdf
- Army Modernization Strategy [Electronic resource]. URL:. https://www.army.mil/e2/downloads/rv7/2019_army_modernization_strategy_final.pdf
- FY 2021 President’s Budget Highlights, US Army Budget Overview (2020) [Electronic resource]. US Assistant Secretary of the Army (Financial Management and Comptroller), 38. URL: https://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=834751
- Primenenie elementov iskusstvennogo intellekta v bespilotnyh letatel'nyh apparatah VS SSHA [Electronic resource]. URL: http://pentagonus.ru/publ/primenenie_ehlementov_iskusstvennogo_intellekt...
- Amerika ushla v kosmos. Novaya strategiya dolzhna obespechit' SSHA global'noe prevoskhodstvo [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.ng.ru/armies/2020-06-22/8_7891_space.html
- (2020, Feb) RDT&E PROGRAMS (R-1). Department of Defense Budget. Fiscal Year 2021 [Electronic resource]. Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller), 242. URL: https://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/Documents/defbudget/fy2021/fy...
- (2020) Air Force. Justification Book Volume 1 of 1. Research, Development, Test & Evaluation, Space Force. Department of Defense. Fiscal Year (FY) 2021. Budget Estimates, 368.
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency. Program Information. Our Research [Electronic resource]. URL: https://www.darpa.mil/program/our-research/more