Promising world scientific and technological areas of research in the field of "Air"
Pysarenko T. V. — PhD in Engineering, Deputy Director for Scientific and Analytical Work of Ukrainian Institute for Scientific Technical Expertise and Information, Kyiv, Ukraine, ORCID: 0000-0001-9806-2872
Paladchenko O. F. — Head of Sector of State Institution “Ukrainian Institute of Scientific and Technical Expertise and Information”, Kyiv, Ukraine, ORCID: 0000-0002-5436-1608
Molchanova I. V. — Senior Research of State Institution “Ukrainian Institute of Scientific and Technical Expertise and Information”, Kyiv, Ukraine, ORCID: 0000-0003-1679-5621
Kovalenko O. V. — Chief Specialist of the Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Agriculture of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine; ORCID: 0000-0001-7657-7867
Abstract. Climate change is a major global development challenge with potentially serious threats to the global economy and international security due to increased risks related to energy security, food and drinking water, stable ecosystems, and risks to human health and life.
The climate crisis continues unabated as the world community evades the full responsibility needed to overcome it. Despite the sharp reduction in human activity due to the COVID-19 crisis, which led to a 6% reduction in emissions projected for 2020, emissions are expected to increase with the lifting of restrictions.
Governments and businesses must use the learned lessons and opportunities arising from this crisis to accelerate the transitions needed to reach the Paris Agreement and the Sendai Framework Program for Disaster Risk Reduction for 2015-2030. If the world does not act urgently now, the catastrophic effects of climate change will be far greater than the current pandemic. We need to rethink our relationship with the environment and make systemic shifts and transformational changes to become economies with low greenhouse gas emissions and resilience to climate change.
The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change sets out the framework for addressing this issue, including the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goal No. 13 "Climate Action".
Ukraine, as a party to the Paris Agreement to the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, is committed to making a national contribution to achieving the goals of sustainable low-carbon economic development and increasing its ability to adapt to the adverse effects of climate change, in particular by reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
The achievement of the SDG No. 13, approved taking into account the specifics of Ukraine's development, is envisaged using innovative technologies to limit greenhouse gas emissions (National Task No. 13.1 "Limiting greenhouse gas emissions in the economy").
The Ukrainian Institute of Scientific and Technical Expertise and Information performed research for the prospects of scientific and technological areas in the field of "Air" to determine innovative technologies for limiting greenhouse gas emissions and implementing the national task No. 13.1.
Identifying the world's promising scientific and technological areas of research and existing technologies is an important and necessary step in determining the topics of effective research and technological forecasting in Ukraine.
To determine innovative technologies for limiting greenhouse gas emissions, scientists of the Ukrainian Institute of Scientific and Technical Expertise and Information have performed the following: 1) improving the methodology of scientific and technological forecasting using the patent landscape and intellectual property analytics; 2) determination of the world's most promising scientific and technological areas.
The study was carried out on the basis of scientific publications in the international database Web of Science and patents in the international database Derwent Innovation.
Promising scientific directions in the "Air" thematic field are the following Top-10 directions: utilization of carbon dioxide; air filtration; air quality monitoring; silicone membranes; multistage processes; air purification; emission inventory; dust collector; chemical cleaning; catalytic methods.
Promising technological areas in the "Air" thematic field are the following Top-10 areas: air quality monitoring; air filtration; air purification; air sensors; chemical cleaning; gas drying; dust collector; flocculation; adsorption; multistage processes.
Comparative analysis of the research results in scientific and technological areas gives grounds for the conclusion that in the thematic area "Air" the priority technological areas in the world are the following: air quality monitoring; air filtration; multistage processes; air purification; dust collector; chemical cleaning.
Keywords: SDG No. 13; scientometric analysis; patent analysis, technological forecasting, perspective technological directions.
- Hlobalni tsili Staloho rozvytku 2030 [Global Sustainable Development Goals 2030] (2017). Orhanizatsiia Obiednanykh Natsii v Ukraini. Retrieved from: http://www.un.org.ua/ua/tsili-rozvytku-tysiacholittia/tsili-staloho-rozvytku [in Ukr.].
- United Nations. Sustainable Development Goals Report (2020). Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts [Electronic resource]. . Retrieved from: https://unstats.un.org/sdgs/report/2020/goal-13/ Title from the screen.
- European Commission. 2020. Goal 13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts [Electronic resource]. Retrieved from: https://ec.europa.eu/sustainable-development/goal13_en Title from the screen.
- Európska Komisia. 2020. Európska zelená dohoda [Electronic resource]. Mode of access: https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-15051-2019-REV-2/sk/pdf – Title from the screen.
- Pro zasady monitorynhu, zvitnosti ta veryfikatsii vykydiv parnykovykh haziv» : Zakon Ukrainy vid 12 hrudnia 2019 r. № 377-IX [On the principles of monitoring, reporting and verification of greenhouse gas emissions ": Law of Ukraine of December 12, 2019.] [Electronic resource]. Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/377-IX Title from the screen. [in Ukr.].
- Pro zasady monitorynhu, zvitnosti ta veryfikatsii vykydiv parnykovykh haziv» : Zakon Ukrainy vid 12 hrudnia 2019 r.№722 [On the Goals of Sustainable Development of Ukraine for the period up to 2030: Decree of the President of Ukraine of September 30, 2019 №722] [Electronic resource]. Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/722/2019#Text . Title from the screen. [in Ukr.].
- Pro Osnovni zasady (stratehiiu) derzhavnoi ekolohichnoi polityky Ukrainy na period do 2030 roku : Zakon Ukrainy vid 28 liutoho 2019 r. № 2697-VIII [On the Basic Principles (Strategy) of the State Environmental Policy of Ukraine for the period up to 2030: Law of Ukraine of February 28, 2019 № 2697-VIII] [Electronic resource]. Retrieved from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2697-19. Title from the screen. [in Ukr.].
- Ministerstvo ekonomichnoho rozvytku i torhivli Ukrainy (2017). Tsili Staloho Rozvytku: Ukraina: Natsionalna dopovid [Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine. Sustainable Development Goals: Ukraine: National Report]. [Electronic resource]. Retrieved from: http://un.org.ua/images/SDGs_NationalReportUA_Web_1.pdf. Title from the screen. [in Ukr.].
- Kvasha, T., Paladchenko, O. & Molchanova, I. (2020). Perspektyvni svitovi naukovi ta tekhnolohichni napriamy doslidzhen u sferi «Vidkhody»: monohrafiia [Promising world scientific and technological directions of research in the field of "Waste": monograph] [Electronic resource]. K. : UkrINTEI, 103. DOI: 10.35668/978-966-479-113-4 [in Ukr.].
- Bohomazova, V. M., & Kvasha, T. K. (2020). Analiz perspektyvnosti svitovykh naukovykh ta tekhnolohichnykh napriamiv rozvytku u sferi transportu [Analysis of the prospects of world scientific and technological directions of development in the field of transport]. Наука, технології, інновації – Science, technology, innovation, 2 (14), 33-43. DOI: 10.35668/2520-6524-2020-2-05 [in Ukr.].